And Other StoriesAuthor Robert J Sawyer ISBN 9780889954168 Binding Trade Paper Publisher Red Deer Press Inc Publication Date April 09, 2008 Size 140 x 210 mm
Robert J. Sawyer - called the dean of Canadian science fiction" by the Ottawa Citizen and "just about the best science fiction writer out there these days" by the Rocky Mountain News - won the World Science Fiction Society's Hugo Award for his novel Hominids and the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America's Nebula Award for his novel The Terminal Experiment.
Iterations is Sawyer's first short story collection, gathering 22 fantastic tales from such diverse places as Amazing Stories, the Village Voice, the Globe & Mail, and Nature.
Among them, these stories have:
- Won the Canadian Science Fiction and Fantasy Award ("the Aurora")
- Won the Crime Writers of Canada's Arthur Ellis Award,
- Been nominated for the Hugo,
- Nominated for and the Horror Writers Association's Bram Stoker Award,
- Been performed on CBC Radio, and
- Appeared in best-of-the-year collections.
In Iterations, you'll:
- See Sherlock Holmes solve the problem of the missing aliens,
- Find out what really happened to the bones of Peking Man,
- Learn the truth about the alligators in the sewers of New York,
- Visit a future Toronto sealed inside a steel dome,
- Encounter pure evil aboard the Russian space station Mir,
- Follow a serial killer as his consciousness is transferred into a Tyrannosaurus rex, and
- Meet a man doomed to commit murder over and over again because of the pressures of Canadian publishing.
Each story is accompanied by Sawyer's own commentary, and the collection is introduced by award-winning SF author James Alan Gardner.
"From prehistoric vampires to orbiting murder mysteries to intergalactic exploration, nothing is off-limits to Sawyer's imagination."
-- Quill & Quire
"Sawyer has a gift for casting jarringly original ideas in lucid, sharp-edged prose that mainstream fiction as well as SF readers should appreciate."
"These are stories to make you drunk on imagination; they're narcotics of science and philosophy."
-- FFWD Weekly
"Science Fiction fans everywhere will find something to enjoy in Iterations and Other Stories. . . A fine addition to any short fiction collection focusing on science fiction."
— The Midwest Book Review