Early Spring Celebrations
In the early spring there are several days or events to Celebrate. They include:
- Saint Patrick's Day, a cultural and religious celebration held on 17 March, the traditional death date of Saint Patrick (c. AD 385–461), the foremost patron saint of Ireland. On this day we celebrate the Irish, Leprechauns, shamrocks, wearing green clothing or accessories, and beer (especially green beer).
- Maple Syrup production. In the spring when the days are getting warmer the sap from maple trees go up the tree trunk during the days and if the nights are below freezing the sap runs back down to the roots. As the sap runs up and down the trees can be tapped for the sweet syrup. Quebec is by far the largest producer, responsible for about three-quarters of the world's output. The syrup runs will start soon, so get out and enjoy it this year. Due to COVID-19 some events may be cancelled this year, so check your local listings. (But it is never too late to have maple syrup with pancakes, waffles, french toast, or whatever you enjoy it on.)
- April Fools' Day, sometimes called All Fools' Day, is celebrated every year on 1 April by playing practical jokes and spreading hoaxes. The jokes and their victims are called April fools. People playing April Fool jokes expose their prank by shouting April Fool!
- Easter Sunday, April 4, 2021. Easter is always the first Sunday after the first full moon that falls on or after March 21 (spring equinox). Easter can occur as early as March 22 and as late as April 25, depending on when the paschal full moon falls. It is the time for celebrations, family gatherings and Easter Egg Hunts.
- Passover March 27 to April 4, 2021. Passover or Pesach is an important, biblically derived Jewish holiday. Jews celebrate Passover as a commemoration of their liberation by God from slavery in ancient Egypt and their freedom as a nation under the leadership of Moses. It commemorates the story of the Exodus as described in the Hebrew Bible, especially in the Book of Exodus, in which the Israelites were freed from slavery in Egypt.
A Wilderness Passover
Author Kathleen Cook Waldron Illustrated by Leslie Gould$12.95 ISBN: 9780889951129 Binding: Trade Cloth Publisher: Red Deer Press Inc Publication Date: 2002-09-10
Ukaliq : Fun for Little Nunavummiut 2
Author Inhabit Media$7.95 ISBN: 9781772272413 Binding: Trade Paper Publisher: Inhabit Media Publication Date: 2018-11-20
Little Rabbit Goes to School
Author Harry Horse Illustrated by Harry Horse$10.95 ISBN: 9781561455744 Binding: Trade Paper Publisher: Peachtree Publishers Publication Date: 2011-05-01
Little Rabbit Lost
Author Harry Horse Illustrated by Harry Horse$10.95 ISBN: 9781682631072 Binding: Trade Paper Publisher: Peachtree Publishers Publication Date: 2019-02-01
The Fool of the World and the Flying Ship
Author Valeri Gorbachev$23.95 ISBN: 9781887734196 Binding: Trade Cloth Publisher: Star Bright Books Inc. Publication Date: 2014-09-12
Mina's Spring Of Colors
Author Rachna Gilmore$11.95 ISBN: 9781550415346 Binding: Trade Paper Publisher: Fitzhenry & Whiteside Publication Date: 2000-05-03
A Company of Fools
Author Deborah Ellis$11.95 ISBN: 9781554550722 Binding: Trade Paper Publisher: Fitzhenry & Whiteside Publication Date: 2007-11-06
Mythspring : From the Lyrics and Legends of Canada
Edited by Julie Czerneda & Genevieve Kierans$6.95 ISBN: 9780889953406 Binding: Trade Paper Publisher: Red Deer Press Inc Publication Date: 2006-03-30