Early Spring Celebrations
In the early spring there are several days or events to Celebrate. They include:
- Saint Patrick's Day, a cultural and religious celebration held on 17 March, the traditional death date of Saint Patrick (c. AD 385–461), the foremost patron saint of Ireland. On this day we celebrate the Irish, Leprechauns, shamrocks, wearing green clothing or accessories, and beer (especially green beer).
- Maple Syrup production. In the spring when the days are getting warmer the sap from maple trees go up the tree trunk during the days and if the nights are below freezing the sap runs back down to the roots. As the sap runs up and down the trees can be tapped for the sweet syrup. Quebec is by far the largest producer, responsible for about three-quarters of the world's output. The syrup runs will start soon, so get out and enjoy it this year. Due to COVID-19 some events may be cancelled this year, so check your local listings. (But it is never too late to have maple syrup with pancakes, waffles, french toast, or whatever you enjoy it on.)
- April Fools' Day, sometimes called All Fools' Day, is celebrated every year on 1 April by playing practical jokes and spreading hoaxes. The jokes and their victims are called April fools. People playing April Fool jokes expose their prank by shouting April Fool!
- Easter Sunday, April 4, 2021. Easter is always the first Sunday after the first full moon that falls on or after March 21 (spring equinox). Easter can occur as early as March 22 and as late as April 25, depending on when the paschal full moon falls. It is the time for celebrations, family gatherings and Easter Egg Hunts.
- Passover March 27 to April 4, 2021. Passover or Pesach is an important, biblically derived Jewish holiday. Jews celebrate Passover as a commemoration of their liberation by God from slavery in ancient Egypt and their freedom as a nation under the leadership of Moses. It commemorates the story of the Exodus as described in the Hebrew Bible, especially in the Book of Exodus, in which the Israelites were freed from slavery in Egypt.
P. Zonka Lays An Egg
Author Julie Paschkis Illustrated by Julie Paschkis$22.95 ISBN: 9781561458196 Binding: Trade Cloth Publisher: Peachtree Publishers Publication Date: 2015-03-30
The Moosehead Anthology XII : Message to Erin: An Anthology of the Irish in Canada,1745-2010
Edited by Daniel O'Leary$18.95 ISBN: 9781897190548 Binding: Trade Paper Publisher: DC Books Publication Date: 2009-11-30
Foolishness to the Greeks : The Gospel and Western Culture
Author Lesslie Newbigin$22.95 ISBN: 9780802801760 Binding: Trade Paper Publisher: WM B. Eerdmans Publishing Company Publication Date: 1988-06-01
The Owl and the Two Rabbits
Author Nadia Sammurtok Illustrated by Marcus Cutler$16.95 ISBN: 9781772272369 Binding: Trade Cloth Publisher: Inhabit Media Publication Date: 2019-06-25
Where the Eye Alights : Phrases for the Forty Days of Lent
Author Marilyn McEntyre$22.95 ISBN: 9780802876980 Binding: Trade Paper Publisher: WM B. Eerdmans Publishing Company Publication Date: 2021-01-05
The Sugaring Off Party
Author Jonathan London Illustrated by Gilles Pelletier$9.95 ISBN: 9781550414707 Binding: Trade Cloth Publisher: Fitzhenry & Whiteside Publication Date: 2006-04-20
The Sugaring Off Party
Author Jonathan London Illustrated by Gilles Pelletier$8.95 ISBN: 9781550415964 Binding: Trade Paper Publisher: Fitzhenry & Whiteside Publication Date: 2006-02-28
Passover Made Easy
Author Leah Schapira & Victoria Dwek$22.95 ISBN: 9781422613535 Binding: Trade Paper Publisher: ArtScroll Mesorah Publications Ltd. Publication Date: 2016-04-13
Author Kathryn O. Galbraith Illustrated by Adela Pons$9.95 ISBN: 9781682630686 Binding: Board Books Publisher: Peachtree Publishers Publication Date: 2019-03-01