Early Spring Celebrations
In the early spring there are several days or events to Celebrate. They include:
- Saint Patrick's Day, a cultural and religious celebration held on 17 March, the traditional death date of Saint Patrick (c. AD 385–461), the foremost patron saint of Ireland. On this day we celebrate the Irish, Leprechauns, shamrocks, wearing green clothing or accessories, and beer (especially green beer).
- Maple Syrup production. In the spring when the days are getting warmer the sap from maple trees go up the tree trunk during the days and if the nights are below freezing the sap runs back down to the roots. As the sap runs up and down the trees can be tapped for the sweet syrup. Quebec is by far the largest producer, responsible for about three-quarters of the world's output. This year spring has come early across North America, so the syrup runs will start earlier and probably end quickly, so get out early and enjoy before it's too late. (But it is never too late to have maple syrup with pancakes, waffles, french toast, or whatever you enjoy it on.)
- April Fools' Day, sometimes called All Fools' Day, is celebrated every year on 1 April by playing practical jokes and spreading hoaxes. The jokes and their victims are called April fools. People playing April Fool jokes expose their prank by shouting April Fool!
- Easter Sunday, April 12, 2020. Easter is always the first Sunday after the first full moon that falls on or after March 21 (spring equinox). Easter can occur as early as March 22 and as late as April 25, depending on when the paschal full moon falls. It is the time for celebrations, family gatherings and Easter Egg Hunts.
- Passover April 8 to April 16, 2020. Passover or Pesach is an important, biblically derived Jewish holiday. Jews celebrate Passover as a commemoration of their liberation by God from slavery in ancient Egypt and their freedom as a nation under the leadership of Moses. It commemorates the story of the Exodus as described in the Hebrew Bible, especially in the Book of Exodus, in which the Israelites were freed from slavery in Egypt.
Author Lee Posey Illustrated by Michael G. Montgomery$10.95 ISBN: 9781561453979 Binding: Trade Paper Publisher: Peachtree Publishers Publication Date: 2007-02-19
Maple Syrup : The Science of a Forest Treasure
Author Michael Rechlin$33.95 ISBN: 9781935778349 Binding: Trade Cloth Publisher: McDonald & Woodward Publishing Publication Date: 2016-01-26
Author Margriet Ruurs Illustrated by Barbara Spurll$10.95 ISBN: 9780773733343 Binding: Trade Paper Publisher: Fitzhenry & Whiteside Publication Date: 1997-04-01
Passover By Design
Author Susie Fishbein$40.95 ISBN: 9781578190737 Binding: Trade Cloth Publisher: ArtScroll Mesorah Publications Ltd. Publication Date: 2016-04-13
The Spring Celebration
Author Tina Umpherville Illustrated by Christie Rice$10.95 ISBN: 9780921827467 Binding: Trade Paper Publisher: Pemmican Publications Inc. Publication Date: 2015-08-24
Lemuel the Fool
Author Myron Uhlberg Illustrated by Sonja Lamut$21.95 ISBN: 9781561452200 Binding: Trade Cloth Publisher: Peachtree Publishers Publication Date: 2003-11-03
Child of Spring
Author Farhana Zia$22.95 ISBN: 9781561459049 Binding: Trade Cloth Publisher: Peachtree Publishers Publication Date: 2016-03-14