Early Spring Celebrations
In the early spring there are several days or events to Celebrate. They include:
- Saint Patrick's Day, a cultural and religious celebration held on 17 March, the traditional death date of Saint Patrick (c. AD 385–461), the foremost patron saint of Ireland. On this day we celebrate the Irish, Leprechauns, shamrocks, wearing green clothing or accessories, and beer (especially green beer).
- Maple Syrup production. In the spring when the days are getting warmer the sap from maple trees go up the tree trunk during the days and if the nights are below freezing the sap runs back down to the roots. As the sap runs up and down the trees can be tapped for the sweet syrup. Quebec is by far the largest producer, responsible for about three-quarters of the world's output. The syrup runs will start soon, so get out and enjoy it this year. Due to COVID-19 some events have been cancelled the past few year, but they may be starting up again, so check your local listings. (But it is never too late to have maple syrup with pancakes, waffles, french toast, or whatever you enjoy it on.)
- April Fools' Day, sometimes called All Fools' Day, is celebrated every year on 1 April by playing practical jokes and spreading hoaxes. The jokes and their victims are called April fools. People playing April Fool jokes expose their prank by shouting April Fool!
- Easter Sunday, April 9, 2023. Easter is always the first Sunday after the first full moon that falls on or after March 21 (spring equinox). Easter can occur as early as March 22 and as late as April 25, depending on when the paschal full moon falls. It is the time for celebrations, family gatherings and Easter Egg Hunts.
- Passover - April 5 to April 13 2023. Passover or Pesach is an important, biblically derived Jewish holiday. Jews celebrate Passover as a commemoration of their liberation by God from slavery in ancient Egypt and their freedom as a nation under the leadership of Moses. It commemorates the story of the Exodus as described in the Hebrew Bible, especially in the Book of Exodus, in which the Israelites were freed from slavery in Egypt.
Leprechauns Never Lie
Author Lorna Balian Illustrated by Lecia Balian$10.95 ISBN: 9781595723284 Binding: Trade Paper Publisher: Star Bright Books Inc. Publication Date: 2014-11-17
Humbug Rabbit : English
Author Lorna Balian Illustrated by Lorna Balian$9.95 ISBN: 9781595727428 Binding: Trade Paper Publisher: Star Bright Books Inc. Publication Date: 2016-03-09
No Spring Chicken : Thoughts on a Life Well Lived
Author Eileen Comstock$12.95 ISBN: 9781894856065 Binding: Trade Paper Publisher: Fifth House Publication Date: 2002-09-18
The Moosehead Anthology XII : Message to Erin: An Anthology of the Irish in Canada,1745-2010
Edited by Daniel O'Leary$18.95 ISBN: 9781897190548 Binding: Trade Paper Publisher: DC Books Publication Date: 2009-11-30